Friday, December 19, 2014

Drunken Pears, aka, Pears in Port Wine


 This was a wonderful recipe I took to my book club this fall. Our pear tree was loaded this year, so much so that we were giving away pears by the bag-full. Sadly, Fannie only has a few pear recipes. But this one was very good. Would definitely make it over and over!

Ingredients:
  • About 1 lb. pears, peeled, cored and sliced in quarters horizontally. I was using drops, so mine weren't perfect quarters, but large chunks. 
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • pinch of lemon rind, or dash of lemon juice
  • Port wine/red wine

Instructions:
  1. In a sauce pan, combine water and sugar and bring just to a boil
  2. Add pears, cover and cook until tender but still firm
  3. Place pears in a serving dish (I used my 8x8 pyrex bc I was transporting it to book club. A pie pan would work, too)
  4. Pour wine over pears and let sit for at least 1 hr. Fannie calls for port wine, but I didn't have any, so just used a sweet red someone had given us that we had opened and not finished. 
It turned out great! Everyone loved it, even my mom, who doesn't drink wine. The pears really absorbed the flavor and were such a pretty color, too. It looked as good as it tasted. Now if only I can find my camera with the pictures on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment