Wednesday, December 24, 2014

One Pot Chicken Rice Soup



I know this isn't a very Christmasy meal, but my husband and I both got a cold this week, so when my mother in law said she didn't have dinner plans, I offered to cook. When I looked up chicken rice soup recipes on Pinterest, they all had cooked chicken. Which is fine....if you have some leftover cooked chicken. But we didn't. And who wants to go through cooking the chicken separately, and the rice, and then adding it to the soup (when you're already sick and feeling like a soggy tissue)?

So I tried making it all in one pot.

Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
  • 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
  • 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 2 lb package of chicken (I used legs & thighs, but breasts would be fine, too).
  • 1 bag frozen peas
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 

  • Instructions:
    1. In a large pot, add water, chicken, and rice. Add more water if needed to make sure all the chicken is covered. Bring to a boil and cook about 20 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, chop vegetables.
    3. Add carrots, celery, onions, oil, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme
    4. Cook another 20 minutes, until vegetables and rice are tender. Pull some of the chicken off the bones. It should come off pretty easily.
    5. Add the frozen peas, salt & pepper to taste.
    This turned out really well! I wasn't sure because all the recipes I found called for cooked chicken and cooked rice. But I wanted to make the whole thing in one pan. And it worked out really well. The rice thickened the broth so it was nice and thick and stew-like, and the rice was perfectly done at the same time as the chicken and veggies. I have never made chicken soup before (except chili verde), but I will definitely make it again. It was super easy and really tasty, and everyone liked it, even my picky son.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment