Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Slow Cooker/Crockpot Bean and Kale Soup

This past fall, my mom had grown Jacob's Cattle Beans, and we made them several times. They are the most delicious beans ever! Our favorite recipe was one for a bean soup. Over Christmas, she gave me a jar of the uncooked beans, and I've been waiting to use them. I wanted to make a meal in the crock pot, so I threw the same ingredients together and cooked it all together. I used frozen peppers, tomatoes and kale that I'd put up from my garden this summer.

  • 2 cups dry beans of your choice (Jacob's Cattle Beans are the best!) soaked overnight & drained.
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 red pepper, chopped 
  • 1 green pepper, chopped 
  • 2-3 cups chopped tomatoes (canned, fresh or frozen)
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 8 cups water 
  • 1 bunch of kale leaves, chopped or sliced
  • salt and pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment