Friday, October 3, 2014

Apple Sauce (applesauce)


Yes, I'm one of those cliche girls who just loves fall sooo much I have to post about it every year. But come on, what's not to love? Sitting by a toasty fire for the first time all year, and actually enjoying the heat instead of suffering it, as we do in summer? All the fun activities that come with the season, with the coolness that makes us want to get out and actually do something more than lie on top of the AC vent and sweat? Or the fact that we can wear jeans and sweaters again? But most of all, how can anyone not love all the flavors that come with fall--toasty pumpkin seeds, pumpkin lattes, hot apple cider, and of course, cinnamon and nutmeg in everything! I for one, embrace the cliche and wholeheartedly admit that I adore fall. And with opportunities to take pictures not just of leaves, but of the gorgeous, colorful food that comes this time of year, how can I not?

I made this recipe one morning because my mom had given me some drops off her apple tree. If you've ever gotten drops, you know that they spoil fast! So I had these bruised apples starting to go bad, and I needed a way to use them all up at once. Hence, a tiny batch of apple sauce (made about 1.5 cups after I cut out all the spots and cores and boiled it down to applesauce). I was stoked when I saw that it used a cinnamon stick, since I'd bought some recently for my son to try and because they reminded me of my own childhood, when my mom had these on her spice rack and on rare occasions, would let us kids have one (or maybe we snitched them when she wasn't looking, I can't remember).

I made a very simple sauce, leaving out the butter in Fannie's recipe. Don't get me wrong, I love butter, but in applesauce? Weird.

For this small batch, I used:
About 4 apples, cut, cored and spots removed
1/2 cinnamon stick
a bit of water

Peel apples if not organic. I use organic, and I like the extra fiber, so I leave the skins in.
Cut apples and put in a pan with a bit of water in the pan if it begins to stick, along with the cinnamon stick
Cook until apples are soft
Run through a foley mill or food processor. This will make it smooth even with the skins in. Also, leaving the skins in makes it a gorgeous pink color.

No comments:

Post a Comment