Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Salmon Loaf


This is a standby at our house, especially in the winter when we don't have a lot of veggies around. It's pretty simple, although the sauce we always put on it does add some time to the overall prep. But it's a favorite for everyone, even my picky son and picky sister, so I make this often.

I know it doesn't sound appealing, but it's very good and a good (and cheap) way to get salmon into your diet. Of course, you could use fresh or frozen salmon, cooked and flaked. But a can of salmon will run you somewhere around $2-3, so if you are a bit tight on funds (who isn't?), this is a more budget friendly way to get Omega 3s than going out and buying fillets.



Ingredients:

  • 1 can pink salmon (14-16 oz), undrained.
  • 1/2 c. bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1.5 tbsp. onion, minced
  • 2 tsp. parsley
  • 1-4 tbsp. minced green pepper
  • dash of Worstershire
  • dash of Tobasco
  • dash of salt
  • Warm Mustard Sauce (recipe here)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Butter a loaf pan
  3. Combine all ingredients and mix well (I sometimes use my food processor for this, so I can grind up the bread crumbs, then add onions and green pepper, then remaining ingredients and give it one more spin to mix).
  4. Press into loaf pan and bake 35 minutes. 
  5. Serve with Mustard Sauce.

5 comments:

  1. This isn't Fannie Farmer's recipe. I have the book. It includes melted butter in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that, too, unless the recipes changed a bit depending on the versions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i started making from the Fanny cookbook in the 70's. No this isn't the recipe. But things have changed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not the recipe I remember from my Fanny Farmer cookbook! My daughter just texted requesting this recipe so I googled because my beautiful cookbook fell apart years ago from much so much use. I’ll wing it ... or buy another Fanny Farmer. Ookbook ... maybe one for my daughter too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry ... next time I write a comment i’ll Wear my glasses!

    ReplyDelete