Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sweet Potato Pancakes



Okay, so these sounded so good in theory...not so much in practice. My son loves pumpkin pancakes, but unfortunately, my pumpkin crop was a big fat fail this year. So I thought I'd make sweet potato pancakes instead. You can imagine my excitement when I found a recipe that even said, "If you like pumpkin pancakes, you'll love these." WRONG!
Don't let these fool you...these are the 'after' pics. See below for the horror story.
While I don't blame the sweet potatoes for the failure, I will definitely NOT be making this recipe ever again. When I put all the ingredients together, the batter turned into a blob of frothy, foaming gelatinous goo. Every pancake, no matter how long I cooked it, was raw in the middle. Even when I left it in the pan so long it was burnt on the outside. It was very reminiscent of the snickerdoodle pancake fiasco I had last year. Remembering that particular pancake disaster, I added a lot of milk to these...about half a cup. And stirred it for quite a while, to get all the foaming bubbles out. Then, the batter was the right consistency (a bit thicker than cream) and the last few turned out okay. The buttermilk made them super sour, though. If I add buttermilk again, I'd probably only use 1/2 c. and 1 c. regular milk, which might make them less foamy and more liquid.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 sweet potato, cooked, peeled and mashed
creepy foamy batter cooking
Creepy foamy pancakes rising way too high while remaining raw inside.

This was the best looking of a dozen, most of which were burned on the outside and raw inside.

Creepy over-risen pancakes with butter and syrup...still creepy.
Directions:

  1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
  2. Add egg, buttermilk, and mashed sweet potato. Stir in but do not over mix; the batter should have small lumps.
  3. Heat a cast iron skillet and drop a dallop of butter into it. 
  4. When butter begins to bubble, pour in a bit of batter to the size pancake you want. 
  5. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, about 2½ minutes, flip over. 
  6. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.
  7. Serve warm with a drizzle of pure maple syrup.
After beating some of the foam away and adding more liquid, they approached normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment