Sunday, October 5, 2014

Corn Chowder


My husband loves corn, so I planted two good rows this year. Then I waited, and waited...and waited. Finally I thought, this stuff has to be ready! But the ears were all scrawny and pointy. An online resource told me to wait until they were rounded at both ends. I opened one up, just to make sure, and found that it hadn't pollinated correctly, and just about every ear was a dud. I ended up with about 2 cups of corn kernels from all the ears combined. Big bummer.

So, I had just enough from my whole crop to make one batch of corn chowder. Luckily, it was a big hit and everyone loved it, even Mr. Picky-Pants (that's my son, btw). He even ate it as leftovers (...twice!) despite his strict no-leftovers policy. So, it was a big hit. Too bad I don't have more corn to make it again! Oh, well, I'll bookmark it for next summer.

Here's what I used:
4 tbsp. butter, divided
1 medium onion, chopped fine
4 medium potatoes (or 8 small) diced
2 c. corn kernels
3 c. water
3 c. milk
salt & pepper

Heat 2 tbsp butter in large soup pot. Add onions and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
I used 8 small potatoes, and they are purple, so be prepared for weird soup colors!
Chop potatoes. I used food processor, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as it tended to stick.
Add potatoes and water and cook until potatoes are soft.
Add milk, butter, salt & pepper and corn. Cook 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.



No comments:

Post a Comment