Saturday, October 4, 2014

Applesauce Walnut Bread


This is one of the few quick bread recipes in Fannie Farmer that calls for 'fresh' fruit or vegetables. I say that, but in actuality, it doesn't. But since I used fresh apples to make the applesauce for this, it's about as close as Fannie gets. A real disappointment, too, because I love making breads and cakes with fresh fruit or zucchini (that goes without saying at this point, right?)

What wasn't a disappointment was this bread. It was quite delicious, much better than the apple bread I made before. Again, I couldn't taste the apples at all, but my husband took one bite and said, "Wow, you can really taste the applesauce." So I guess my taste buds weren't working right! However, it was still very good, and highly recommended.


For this, I used:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. white flour
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 c. applesauce
  • 3/4 c. walnut pieces

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 & butter a loaf pan.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar
Add eggs & vanilla and mix well.



In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add to butter mixture and stir to combine well.
Stir in applesauce & walnuts and pour into loaf pan. Bake 55-75 minutes, watching closely at the end. I always have to add extra time to the baking time suggested. I think I cooked this for 60 minutes, maybe 65, and it was perfectly done.
Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Slice and enjoy. I like mine slightly warm, with butter and perhaps honey.


No comments:

Post a Comment