Monday, August 18, 2014

Carrot Cake

I've made this recipe several times before. My sister makes it, too, and it's by far my favorite carrot cake recipe. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out too well this time. I think I used too much carrot (I used a bit more than the recipe calls for) or I didn't drain the pineapple well enough this time. Sorry about the odd color in the pictures, too--anything under fluorescent light looks hideous on my phone's camera.

Anyhow, though it didn't turn out too well this time, this is still the best carrot cake I've ever had. I used to bake pretty much every day, and I tried a couple other recipes, but this one is still the best. It's dark and spicy and super moist.

You will need:
1 1/2 c. grated carrot
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. crushed pineapple, well drained
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. white/all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 c. coconut oil
3 eggs
1 c. walnuts
Optional: 1 c. golden or regular raisins

Instructions: Preheat oven to 350.
Grease two loaf pans or a cake pan.

Using food processor or mixing by hand, shred carrots or grate finely.
Stir in lemon juice & pineapple and set aside.

Mix flours, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and spices in a separate bowl.
Add oil and mix well. I actually used olive oil, because that's what I had, and you couldn't taste it at all!
Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
Add carrot mixture.
Add walnuts and raisins, if using them, and mix until batter is evenly combined.
Spread in loaf pans and bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean.
This time, my loaf didn't rise very well. I added a bit of extra flour, but it was still too moist.
It was still good, but usually it's a bit better than this time. Great texture and flavor.
Top with cream cheese frosting or butter-honey glaze.

1 comment:

  1. ummm you left the amount of sugar out of the recipe.....wish I had noticed that before I started.

    ReplyDelete