Tuesday, August 26, 2014

How-To: Can Tomato Juice


I started making tomato juice because while canning stewed tomatoes, I kept coming up with tons of juice after I'd filled the jars with tomatoes. So I started straining off the juice and canning it according to Fannie's directions.

Here's how:

Wash tomatoes and cut out any spots and cores/stems.
Cut in pieces and simmer over low heat until soft.
Strain through a sieve or food mill.
Reheat juice to boiling point, add salt, sugar, and spices to taste (all are optional--I only add salt).
Pour into clean, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-1/4 inch headspace.
Wipe rims with clean, damp cloth to make sure there isn't any tomato on the rims.
Place new lids onto jars, tighten with rings.
Process in a boiling-water bath for 10 mins (pints) or 15 mins (quarts).

I don't make much, since I strain it off my tomatoes before boiling it and canning it. I get about 1-2 quarts per 5 quarts of tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment