Sunday, August 24, 2014

Creole Tomatoes


I made this quick side dish to go with the revoltillos I posted yesterday. It was alright, but of the many tomato recipes I've tried, this one was pretty forgettable. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't anything special. Which I guess is okay for a side dish. It gave us some extra veggies and no one complained about it. If you're drowning in tomatoes, like I am, go ahead and make this. It's just not the best tomato recipe out there (so far during this challenge, that goes to the salsa).

Here's what I used:
2 tbsp. butter
1 onion
1 green bell pepper
6 medium tomatoes
dash of cayenne
1 tsp. thyme (or more if you have fresh)
salt to taste
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, for garnish

Here's what I did:
  • heat butter in medium cast iron skillet
  • chop onion and add to skillet
  • chop pepper and add
  • cook 5-10 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently
  • while onions cook, core and quarter tomatoes
  • when onions are translucent, add tomatoes, cayenne, thyme & salt
  • cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
  • garnish with parsley 

Like I said, this wasn't the star of the show, but it did a good job filling its role. Couldn't compete with the strongly-flavored revoltillos. This needs to be served with something bland like baked chicken.



No comments:

Post a Comment