Thursday, August 14, 2014

Squash and Cabbage Saute

I've had this recipe marked in my book for a while, since I had so much cabbage earlier in the summer. Now that I have zucchini and peppers ready in the garden, it was time to make this recipe at last. I paired it with the goulash I posted yesterday.

For this recipe, you will need:
About 1/4 head cabbage
1 green bell pepper
1 med. zucchini
vinegar
thyme
oregano
salt & pepper

Directions: 
Heat a skillet and add 2-3 tbsp. butter.
Add 2-4 c. cabbage, shredded or sliced thinly.
Add 1 chopped green pepper (about 1 c.)

Add 1 medium zucchini, chopped (about 2-3 c.)
Saute about 10 mins, stirring a few times, until zucchini is just getting tender.
Add some thyme and oregano. A pinch of each, fresh if possible, but dried is fine, too.
Salt and pepper to taste. I like a lot of pepper.


And 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar.


Stir in the seasonings and serve immediately.
 This recipe was really good. Usually, I'll make a vegetable side dish and think it wasn't really worth the effort, because it's just as good simply steamed with a bit of butter and salt added. But this was really good. Definitely worth the small effort. The flavors went together incredibly well. One of the best vegetable sides I've made.



2 comments:

  1. I made this (sort of) last night.... I modified it quite a bit though, but it still turned out really good. I used yellow patty pan squash instead of zucchini, and a red sweet pimiento pepper. I wanted to have it as a main dish, so I added bacon (cooked first, then cooked the veggies in some of the bacon fat, then chopped and added the bacon back in at the end with the vinegar). It would probably be really good with Italian sausage too.

    ReplyDelete