Monday, August 4, 2014

Guacamole

Okay, Fannie is usually the cooking bible when it comes to basic recipes. But sometimes, it's just not quite as good as expected.

This is one that, after making once, I will definitely revert to my old recipe. Here's Fannie's advice.

Mash avocado with silver fork.
Season with onion juice, lemon juice, salt and pepper
Mix in mayo and tomato pulp and beat until whipped-cream consistency
Optional add-in: chili powder

I'm used to my guac with a heavy dose of cilantro and garlic, which are notably absent here. After following her recipe, I tasted it and found it way too bland. So I blended in half an onion and 2 cloves of garlic, but it was still a bit bland for me. Plus, it was a really weird, not-green color.

Maybe it's because I've lived in NWA for too long, but I need my Mexican restaurant-style guac!


No comments:

Post a Comment