Sunday, August 17, 2014

Zucchini Pancakes


Oh, look, it's another breakfast recipe! It might seem like those make up half my recipes, but the truth is, I rarely make anything more fancy than oatmeal for breakfast. During the school year, we eat a lot of oatmeal. But during the summer, I like to take advantage of those mornings at home, when I can make something my son really loves or get creative and make something like zucchini pancakes. As summer draws to a close and school approaches, I've been cramming in as many breakfasts together as possible. Hence, the numerous breakfast recipes of late.

But this will probably be the last one for a while, so enjoy.

You will need:
2 c. coarsely grated or chopped zucchini (I used a food processor and it came out perfect).
2 eggs

1/2 c. grated cheese
1/4 c. flour
1-4 tsp. fresh or dried parsley
butter or coconut oil for cooking
salt & pepper to taste
Trim and remove stem from medium or small zucchini.
Coarsely chop or grate 2 c. zucchini and add parsley.

Add cheese.
Add flour, salt and pepper.
Mix all ingredients.
Beat the eggs and add to mixture, mixing thoroughly.
Heat and oil a cast iron skillet and spread the batter into roughly pancake shaped masses.
Cook until golden brown on each side and top with parmesan or sour cream.
These turned out really, really good. I ate about five of them, and I didn't even feel guilty. My son, however, did not like them so much. He did eat one, after saying they looked disgusting. I thought they were quite pretty. They reminded me of potato pancakes, but a bit more tender because the zucchini is softer than potatoes. They had a bit of crunch, a bit of saltiness. The only problem is, I never know what to put on savory pancakes. But these were so good, they really didn't need anything. I may try making them again without flour and see if they turn out as good. These were amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment