Friday, August 15, 2014

Traditional Waffles

Still haven't perfected the amount to add to each section of waffle iron.
I love breakfast. You know how they say it's the most important meal of the day? Well, it's also the most delicious. Breakfast is why I can't go gluten-free. Breakfast is why bacon was invented. And how can you argue with bacon?

Can't argue with waffles, either.
Luckily for me, my son also loves breakfast. I can hardly get him to take one bite of dinner, even if he's never even heard of the meal I've made. But breakfast, that's a different story.

Dark spots are flax seeds.
I let him pick this morning, and he wanted waffles.

Here's our recipe, loosely based on Fannie Farmer:
Mix in bowl:

2/3 c. whole wheat flour

1/3 c. white flour
2 tbsp. flax seeds (obviously not in Fannie's recipe)
1 tsp. baking soda

Using a large-mouth jar, mix together:
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. milk/buttermilk/sour milk/or yogurt (I use mostly milk, with a bit of yogurt to activate the baking soda)

Pour dry ingredients into jar and shake until just mixed, about 10 seconds. Lumps are okay and normal here.

Pure goodness.
Pour a bit into each section of waffle iron and cook until brown. 
You can't overdo it with butter.
Top with butter and syrup. We were out of maple syrup, which I didn't realize until I'd already made the waffles, so we had to use strawberry syrup, but they still tasted pretty good.

I usually add half whole wheat to my recipes, but this time, I used 2/3 and it was still incredibly light and fluffy. You would never know I'd used any whole wheat at all. I don't know what it is about this recipe, but it's always light as air. I credit the jar.




No comments:

Post a Comment