Saturday, August 2, 2014

Ham and Tomato Frittata

More ham? Yes, please. I'm telling you, this thing never goes away. But I'm okay with that. Yay for leftovers. It gives me a direction to go when looking for my next recipe. This frittata didn't call for ham, but I threw it in anyway, since it goes with eggs.
Onions and garlic.

My adapted version of Fannie's Frittata
I threw a small chopped onion in the cast iron skillet with olive oil and a couple cloves of garlic, minced, and cooked until the onion was transparent/yellow.
Cut up a huge tomato from the garden and add.

I beat 4 eggs and mixed it with fresh oregano, salt and pepper, and parmesan cheese (about 1/4 c.)
Eggs and spices and cheese.



Poured it into frying pan on top of the onions and tomatoes. Covered as directed in recipe, and cooked on low heat until the edges begin to pull away from the pan. It was still juicy on top, so I put it under the broiler as suggested for 5-10 minutes until it was solid all the way across.




Everything in the pan and ready to cook.


For this recipe, I used a lot more onion than it called for--one small onion, chopped fine. I didn't have leftover cooked veggies, which Fannie recommends, so I chopped up a fresh tomato from the garden. Then I tossed in about a cup of chopped ham. I beat the eggs and added them, along with a bit of salt, pepper, and fresh oregano. I added a healthy dose of parmesan cheese, about 4 tbsp.

 It turned out pretty well. My husband really liked it. It was all pretty from the tomatoes, but I would have liked it better if I'd had some other veggies to throw in, like peppers or mushrooms. I may make another version of this soon. I can see it becoming one of those recipes that I make over and over, with slight alterations every time.





No comments:

Post a Comment