Monday, August 11, 2014

Poached Eggs

I made these on a busy morning when I realized we only had one egg. So I cooked it up quickly and ate it atop a sliced tomato from our garden.

For this recipe, you will need:
  • eggs (however many  you want)
  • vinegar (I used apple cider, since that's what I had--1/2 tsp. per egg)
  • a bit of salt (about 1/8 tsp. per egg)
  • Large sliced tomato (optional)
The egg stuck to the bottom a bit so I had to coax it away.
Directions:
  1. Fill a skillet or saucepan with a few inches of water.
  2. Add the vinegar to help the egg coagulate.
  3. Heat the water until it simmers.
  4. Break each egg into a saucer, slide one by one into the water.
  5. Add salt.
  6. Spoon water over eggs for 3 minutes until set OR turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 5 mins.
  7. Remove one by one with a slotted spoon.
  8. Set each egg on a large slice of tomato and top with salt or seasoning salt (I use Tony Chachery's)
Okay, so I completely overcooked this one because somehow I missed the OR part of the time for the recipe. So I heated the egg for 3 minutes, then covered and let it sit for 5 minutes more. The yolk was completely solid instead of nice and runny how poached eggs should be. However, I will definitely try these again, since I've always wanted to know how to poach an egg and it turns out it's incredibly simple.



No comments:

Post a Comment