Sunday, August 31, 2014

Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Georgian Style

 
This is an adapted recipe for mashed sweet potatoes that's in my mom's older version of Fannie Farmer. It was pretty good, but in the end, I think I'd rather just eat regular baked sweet potatoes with butter and salt, or even plain mashed sweet potatoes.

For this recipe, you'll need:
1 lb sweet potatoes
butter, salt for mashing
milk or orange juice for mashing
for topping:
1 tbsp. molasses
1 tsp. butter
Slice sweet potatoes and steam or boil until soft.

Remove skins and mash sweet potatoes with butter, salt & orange juice or milk, if desired.

Cook 1 tbsp. molasses and 1 tsp. butter in separate pan for five minutes.

FF says to 'pour' it over uneven surface of mashed potatoes, but it was basically crispy string at this point, so pouring wasn't so much of an option. Maybe thread it across, or arrange it. The softer spoonfuls can be drizzled, perhaps.

Bake at 400 until top is browning slightly. I'm not sure if mine was browning, but the molasses mixture had melted in, so I took it out.
This recipe was okay, it just wasn't as good as it sounded. I'd never had sweet potatoes with molasses, and in my head, I imagined something much more delicious than this was. It wasn't bad or anything, just not as good as I'd anticipated. Maybe it makes up for the revoltillos, which sounded sort of gross but turned out well. My son ate these, so I can't say they're a total failure, but I doubt I'll ever make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment