Monday, September 1, 2014

Apple Pancakes


This is a recipe that's part Fannie Farmer, part my own creation. I've been making apple pancakes with apple topping for a few years now, using by my idea of how they should taste instead of any recipe. I've never had a recipe before, so this one wasn't exactly how mine usually are. And I guess I'd have to say, I like my no-recipe version better.

But this time, I went with Fannie's instructions. So here's her version, as I adapted it.

This made 8 medium pancakes.

1/2-3/4 c. milk or  yogurt (I used about half of each)
1 egg
1 c. flour--I usually use half whole wheat, but I was out so I had to use all white :(
2 tbsp. flax flour (throw some flax seeds in a blender if you don't have flax flour)
dash of cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp. molasses
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 apple, diced in small pieces

Beat milk & egg in a mixing bowl.
Mix flour, flax, cinnamon and baking soda
Dump flour mixture into milk mixture and stir until just moistened
Gently mix in chopped apples
If your batter is too thick (it should be a bit thicker than cream), add a dash of milk and stir gently

Heat a cast iron skillet and drop in a bit of butter
When butter begins to bubble, add batter to make whatever size pancakes you want.
Flip when the surface of the pancake is bubbly and the edges are solidifying.
When both sides are browned, set on a plate, top with butter and apple topping, or syrup, or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment