Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Buttermilk Pancakes




These come with a whole buttermilk story. But that's a story for another day.

Anyhoo, to make the cream cheese, I bought buttermilk culture. I made the buttermilk, which made a quart. The cheese took 2 tbsp. of it. Then I had a whole quart (minus 2 tbsp) of buttermilk left over! So, I made buttermilk pancakes, which is the only recipe I could think of that used buttermilk, since my mom used to make them when I was a kid. I wanted to share the memory with my son, and since he loves any and all pancakes, it was a good chance to make them.

Hence, buttermilk pancakes.

For these, I used:
3/4 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 c. white flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda

  • Beat milk & eggs in a bowl. 
  • Mix flour and baking soda and add to milk mixture.
  • Mix until just moistened.
  • Butter a cast iron skillet and heat.
  • Pour batter into pan in pan in the size you want for pancakes.
  • Cook until just set around edges and flip quickly, browning on each side.
 When I was a kid, I remember these having a very distinctive taste, almost like sourdough bread. But now, they just tasted like regular pancakes but a little more tender. I usually use yogurt along with the milk, so maybe that's why these weren't much different. They were good though, and everyone ate them up without a complaint.

A basic pancake recipe, but a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment