Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Vegetarian Sweet Potato Black Bean Honey Lime Tacos (non-Fannie)


Here's another recipe I made that was not from Fannie. Of course it follows that I discovered it on Pinterest. This recipe has been pinned more than anything else I have pinned. So I decided to see what all the hype was about, and after making them, I have to say that it is well deserved hype.

Here's my recipe, adapted from Cooking Classy.

I used
  • 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes
  • 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 (14.5) oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels (can use frozen or canned)
  • 3 Tbsp honey
  • 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • Corn tortillas
  • Toppings such as lettuce, feta cheese or other cheese,  avocados, salsa etc.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.


Peel potatoes.
Dice in 1/2 inch cubes and place on baking sheet.
Drizzle with 3 Tbsp olive oil and toss to evenly coat. Sprinkle with cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and season lightly with salt and pepper to taste then toss to evenly coat.
Bake in preheated oven 15 - 20 minutes, removing from oven and tossing once halfway through .
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. 
Dice onion and add to hot skillet.
Once hot add onion and saute until golden brown on edges and tender, about 5 - 6 minutes, adding in garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing.
Reduce heat to medium-low, add in black beans, corn, honey and lime juice.





Serve over warm tortillas with assorted toppings.


Although this sounded a bit weird to me (sweet tacos? Not so sure...) it actually turned out to be quite edible and even delicious. I don't know if I'd make it again unless I had a day off, as it is a bit tedious dicing everything and it does take quite a bit of time. But it's a good dish for a cold rainy day in the fall or winter, when you're stuck indoors.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment