Sunday, September 21, 2014

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (or Bread)

 When I was a kid, my mom made chocolate zucchini cake every summer. I still remember exactly how it tastes, unlike any other chocolate cake. I looked up some of the recipes for it on Pinterest, and they are almost all nearly identical. This one was a tiny bit different, as the chocolate chips were supposed to be mixed in and not spread on top of the bread. I didn't have chocolate chips, so I just made these a bit more chocolatey by adding extra cocoa powder, and I made them into muffins instead of bread. Unfortunately, I didn't add extra oil to make up for the dry cocoa powder, and they turned out a bit dry and not very good. Also, I was making these at the same time as I made pancakes for my son, and I got distracted and used all whole wheat, which didn't help any. They tasted really healthy, and not in the good way--kind of like a power bar.

The original recipe, this one from the list of zucchini bread recipes, calls for a brown sugar glaze, but I'm obsessed with cream cheese frosting, so I put it on everything, including these. It still couldn't save them, though.

I used:
  • 1 C whole wheat flour (would recommend half white!)
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • ¾ t baking soda
  • 5 T unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ¼ C coconut oil
  • ½ C organic raw sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 t vanilla
  • ¼ C sour cream
  • 1½ C grated zucchini
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a large 9″ bread pan (or muffin tin with cupcake liners) and set aside.
  2. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat together sugar, oil, and eggs. Add vanilla and sour cream.
  4. Fold in the grated zucchini. Add the remaining dry flour ingredients. Stir to combine.
  5. Pour into prepared 9″ bread pan or cupcake liners. Bake for 50-60 minutes for bread, 25-30 minutes for muffins, or until a toothpick in the center comes clean.
  6. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes and remove from pan. Top with cream cheese frosting if desired. 
It's hard for me to give directions for this, since it was NOT good. Just don't follow my directions, or look for an alternative recipe, or try following the original recipe exactly. All I know is, these hung around on the counter for DAYS, and that's saying a lot for a chocoholic like me. I finally managed to eat them all, just to use them up, because I felt too guilty to throw them out, seeing as they weren't burnt to a crisp or anything (dang, I should have thought of that earlier...)



No comments:

Post a Comment