Thursday, September 18, 2014

Apple Walnut Zucchini Bread


This is another recipe I made from the wonderful compilation found on this blog. I didn't like this one quite as much as the banana bread, but it was still pretty good. The spices were a bit strong for me, and I couldn't taste the apple at all, which was a disappointment. I didn't want to put in extra (one seemed like a wee amount) because I wasn't sure if it would make the bread soggy.

I probably won't make this again, since I have so many recipes from that blog, including another apple bread. But if you like very spicy apple bread, this one will do the trick.

For this, I used:
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 white cup flour
1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 apple, grated
1 cup grated zucchini
2 eggs
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
dried apple slices (optional--I didn't have these, so didn't use them)

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and baking soda.
 
3. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, grated apple, zucchini, coconut oil and lemon juice.
4. Gently fold this mixture into the dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix.
5. Stir in the chopped walnuts.
 
6. Pour batter into a greased and floured loaf pan.

7. Bake for about an hour, or until browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
 
Like I said, this bread was just okay. Last time, I made banana zucchini bread and it was a little soggy. This was the opposite--a little dry. But, it got eaten, both at dinner with pork chops and sauteed squash and the next morning for breakfast. It didn't hang around on the counter for long, so I guess it was passable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment