Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Cream of Tomato Soup

This was AFTER adding 3 more cups of tomatoes.

This is a simple, easy recipe that I made one night when I was feeling very uninspired. I paired it with grilled cheese sandwiches for the classic combo.


This recipe was pretty alright. But it was more like cream soup (think chowder) than the cream of tomato soup you get at restaurants or from a can. I ended up going back and adding more tomatoes because I didn't care for the white-pink milkiness of the soup.

Here's my adaptation:
4 tbsp. butter
1 small onion, chopped
4 tbsp. flour
4 c. whole milk
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3-6 c. chopped tomatoes (canned or fresh)


Melt the butter in a large pot over low/med heat.

Add the onion and cook until soft.
Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring.
Add milk slowly.

Add bay leaf, sugar and salt and continue stirring until mixture thickens slightly.
 
Add baking soda to tomatoes, then add to milk mixture.
Continue cooking until soup begins to simmer.
Remove from heat and run through food processor or blender (or strainer/sieve)

Fannie calls for only 3 c. tomatoes, but I did not care for the milk soup. So I added twice that, and it was still very pale and creamy. So I'd go with at least that much. My husband and son both loved this soup, and since I canned a TON of tomatoes this summer, I'm sure I'll make it again this winter after a long day at work when I need a quick recipe.
All gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment