Thursday, September 25, 2014

Baked Winter Squash (Butternut)



For years, I've looooved butternut squash. I mean, I could eat one every day all winter and never get tired of it. I know, because I've done it. So when my mom gave me some seeds, I was excited to plant them. Unfortunately, I didn't have much space in my garden, so I was only able to plant 4 hills (5 plants came up). I quickly decided that was enough, as the plants seemed intent on taking over the world. 

However, just when I thought I'd be overwhelmed by squash, the squash bugs descended and killed all my plants. Fortunately, they'd already set about 30 squash. Unfortunately, they weren't mature enough to pick yet. I wasn't sure what to do, since my mom said to pick them although they weren't quite ripe. I picked one to see how it was, and it was a bit watery (NOT the correct texture for this rich, creamy squash) and not at all sweet.

So I went to Fannie to see if I could use it up somehow (I left the rest of the squash in the garden to see if they could ripen up from whatever leaves were left on the vines).

Fannie's recipe for this is quite simple.

You will need:
1 butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise.
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. salted butter

Bake the squash at 375 for about 40 minutes or until soft.
Mash it a bit while leaving it in the skin.
Add butter and maple syrup and enjoy.

While this was not nearly as good as a mature squash, which is sweet enough on it's own, it did give me an edible way to eat the immature squash I'd picked. I haven't tried another one yet, but I'm sure I'll post when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment