Friday, September 5, 2014

Coconut Almond Macaroons--Gluten Free, Grain Free

Okay, this is my first recipe that's not from Fannie Farmer. Why? Because this blog is Fanny and Me. So here's one that I made for me. I'm still doing mostly Fannie, so I can cook every day. But when I make something from another source, I'm posting it here as well.

I've decided that I'm going to have to expand from Fannie Farmer and do some posts about the recipes I make that are not from Fannie. I have been doing them on my other blog, but that just takes too much time! So I'm combining my cooking endeavors into one blog...those from Fannie, and those for me. 
I found this recipe on Pinterest of course, and it looked really simple and healthy. It's based on this recipe over at Grain Crazy blog. She has a ton of healthy recipes over there.

This one did taste a little granola-girl, but it was still good. It reminded me of something my vegetarian hippie parents fed me when I was a kid. Of course, back then it would have been a big treat. With all the processed foods around, my son wasn't very interested in these. He did eat one and say they were good, though. Also, my uber-picky sister ate one and, even though she professes to hate almond extract, said she liked them. So did my mom. So they have the approval of everyone, and I'm calling them a success.
 For the recipe, I used:

1 c. raw almonds, blended
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/4 c. coconut oil (mine was congealed at the time, but you could use liquid, though I'd say it would probably make it a bit more tricky).
2 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Mix everything in a small bowl and set in fridge to harden a bit. I only put mine in for half an hour, though you could do longer.
Remove from fridge and shape into balls.
Return to fridge for about an hour, or until hardened.

Like I said, these were so simple to make and very healthy and yummy. They are, however, sort of expensive, like most healthy food. I don't know that I'd make these every day, but they are a great tasting healthy recipe that I'll try to use as a snack again sometime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment