Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tomato Sauce (For Spaghetti or Pasta)

I made a recipe for spaghetti sauce earlier this year, but this one is a vegetarian sauce. And really, a very strange sauce, if you ask me! I mean, what kind of spaghetti sauce doesn't have onions or garlic? It's just unnatural! But anyway, I wanted to make this one more like the recipe, instead of just adding the usual things that I do to make my own. This time, I really followed the recipe.

For this, I used:

2 tbsp. olive oil
About 5 fresh tomatoes (FF calls for tomato paste as well, but I'd feel awful buying tomatoes of any kind with the amount I have in the garden, and since it cooks for 45 minutes, it has plenty of time to thicken up!)
1 grated carrot
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. dried basil (or 2 fresh, if you have it)
3 tbsp. butter


  • Heat the oil in a large sauce pan or skillet.
  • Chop or put the tomatoes through a food processor. I used 3 c. per Fannie, but then it cooked down so much that I had to add another 2 c. and cook them separately, then mix it in to make enough for the pasta. So save yourself from my folly and start out with a lot more tomatoes than the original recipe states. This is supposed to make 4 c. sauce, but I used about 6 c. fresh tomatoes and it cooked down to less than 3 c. So, if using fresh tomatoes, use lots!
  • Add tomatoes, carrot, salt & pepper, and basil. 
  • Simmer 30 minutes. 
  • If dry, add a bit of water. I used some whey from the cream cheese I made the other day.
  • Simmer another 15 minutes.
This sauce was a bit strange and very different from the usual spaghetti sauce I've made before. But it wasn't bad. A bit plain without onions and garlic, so I'd use it on an exciting pasta like mushroom ravioli or zucchini-stuffed lasagna rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment