Thursday, September 11, 2014

Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna Rolls


I've had this recipe marked since the beginning of the season. Now that my zucchini plants are in full swing, producing much more than I can eat, I'm using every recipe I can find that will use it up!

This recipe was quite different from the lasagna rolls I've seen before, mostly in the way it's cooked. But it turned out really well. My husband ate a huge plate of it and didn't complain a bit about the zucchini stuffing for the rolls.

For this, I used:
1/2 lb lasagna noodles
3 tbsp. olive oil

2 small/med onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 c. grated zucchini
2 c. cottage cheese or ricotta
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. tomato sauce (see recipe here)
1/2 c. parmesan

Cook lasagna noodles.
 Put olive oil in a skillet, add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent and soft

Set aside and mix zucchini, cottage cheese, basil, oregano, salt
Add onions to mixture and stir until well blended
On a clean surface, lay out the noodles
Put about 1/4 c. cottage cheese mixture on each noodle,spreading it along the length of the noodle.
Roll it up and set it upright in an 8x8 or larger baking dish
Repeat until all the noodles and filling is used.
Spoon the sauce around the rolls but not on top.
Bake 30-40 minutes in 375 oven. I had to bake for 40 minutes before they were really hot and the noodles began to brown and get a bit crispy on the top edges.

Top with parmesan.

These turned out really well. Since the filling had onions and garlic, it balanced out the lack of such things in the sauce. While I wouldn't like the plain sauce on spaghetti, it worked perfectly here. These were really good and filling. A great vegetarian meal on a cold evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment