Saturday, September 20, 2014

Shepherd's Pie


I've only had this once, though my husband says he's eaten it at lots of restaurants. Maybe I just don't like the sound of it, so I've never noticed it on a menu. Anyway, my brother in law made this last year and I liked it. It's kind of like pot pie with mashed potatoes for a crust, which is perfect for anyone who doesn't want to or can't eat gluten.

For this I used:
1 lb. ground lamb
3 c. mashed potatoes (about 4 large, but depends a lot on size of potatoes...doesn't have to be exact, so just guessing is fine)
1 onion, chopped fine
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground lamb (beef works fine, too)
1 tsp. rosemary
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp. flour
3/4 c beef broth
salt & pepper

Add-ins: 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 1 small zucchini, all chopped fine in food processor.

Steam or Boil potatoes. I used purple potatoes, so my pie was a bit purple. Mash them (about 3 c.) and set aside.
Cook lamb in skillet until pink is gone. Add onions, garlic and rosemary.

Melt butter in skillet or sauce pan. Add flour and cook a few mins. Add beef broth and cook 5 more mins.

Fannie doesn't call for any veggies in this, but I can't in good conscience make a veggie-less dish this time of year. So I added the peppers and zucchini at this point.

Add meat mixture and level it in a baking dish.
Top with mashed potatoes, make checkered pattern on top with fork. Cook in 375 oven for 30-40 minutes.
 This turned out really well. You could easily use ground beef in the absence of lamb. I love this dish, since I don't like pie crust so I usually only eat the inside of pot pie anyway. I would have liked the gravy on this to be a little creamier, so I may use milk next time. But it is still a great dinner, very filling and hearty, and, if you use pastured meat and veggies, very healthy as well. Will definitely be making this one again and again.


No comments:

Post a Comment