Friday, September 19, 2014

Coconut Waffles


I've been running through Fannie's pancake and waffle recipes at breakneck speed. I didn't realize I made breakfast so often until I started this challenge. But pretty much every weekend I make breakfast at least once, sometimes twice. Instead of making the same old recipe every time like I used to, I've been trying to work my way through Fannie's recipes. Unfortunately, she doesn't have that many, so I've used up most of them already!

Here's the recipe for Coconut Waffles:

Mix in bowl:
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. white flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. coconut (finely shredded)

 Using a large-mouth jar, mix together:
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. milk/buttermilk/sour milk/or yogurt

Pour dry ingredients into jar and shake until just mixed, about 10 seconds. Pour about 1/4 c. batter into each section of hot waffle iron, sprinkle each with 1-2 tbsp. finely shredded coconut and cook until golden.
 
These turned out really well. The coconut is barely discernible in the cooked waffles, but it gave them a bit of a unique texture. If you like a bit of crispiness in your waffles and like coconut, these are pretty good and really no more work than regular waffles. Top with butter and syrup or topping of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment