Thursday, September 4, 2014

Dutch Apple Pudding

I found this recipe in my mom's old Boston Cooking School Cookbook. Unfortunately, it's not in my edition of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. Which is a shame, because this was just about the yummiest apple pie type dish I've ever tasted!

I used:

4 small apples from my mom's tree (use 2 large apples from the store, peeled)
1/2 c. walnuts
1/2 c. organic sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. aluminum-free baking soda
Optional: cinnamon/nutmeg OR lemon juice

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Butter a pie pan
  • Beat the egg, then add sugar and beat that in.
Dice the apples (should be 1-2 c). 
Add to sugar/egg mixture and toss to coat.
Add flour, baking powder and nuts and pour into pan. I had to pat it down some to get apples mostly submerged.
Bake 20-25 minutes, until top is lightly browned.
Drizzle with heavy cream.
Mangi, mangi!
This is possibly my new favorite dessert. We ate it for breakfast and it was very indulgent! I cut the sugar in half (FF says 1 c.) and it was still so sweet I had to drink unsweetened coffee with it to cut the sweetness. I'd say it was a little too sweet. But soooo delicious (and, my sugar-addict son informed me, just sweet enough!), especially the way the sugar made this barely-there crunchy shell on top. It was so thin you could hardly feel the crispiness before it melted in your mouth. You can see it in the above pic next to the apple. It made this spun-sugar web thing on top that was TO DIE FOR.

I made this a few days later at my mom's house because it was so good the first time (and not very big--we ate the whole thing for breakfast). My mom wanted me to use xylitol for a sweetener, and it didn't make the 'crust' on top like sugar did, and wasn't nearly as good. It was just okay. I'm glad I used cinnamon at her house or it would have been boring. So do not use a sugar substitute on this one! It requires sugar (but you could try cutting the sugar to 1/4 c. if your apples are sweet).

This recipe is super easy and SO delicious. I may try it with gluten-free flour soon and update this post if it's any good. Now go make yourself some apple 'pudding'!







No comments:

Post a Comment