Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Butterscotch Brownies aka Blondies


I made these as an alternative to the regular chocolate brownies. I did alter the recipe a lot. I didn't have brown sugar, so I used regular sugar and molasses. I also cut the recipe in half, because I wasn't sure how much I'd like them. Then I cut the sugar in half again, since it seemed really sugary. And I left out the baking powder in Fannie's recipe, because I don't like fluffy brownies. I like them moist and chewy. And these turned out pretty fluffy anyway.

Batter going in the oven.

Here's what I used:
1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick)
1/2 c. organic sugar, plus 1/2 tsp. molasses
1 egg
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. white flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
Golden and slightly shiny on top.

  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Butter an 8x8 baking pan.
  • Melt butter in saucepan, then add other ingredients, stirring to combine thoroughly.
  • Spread in pan and bake 25 minutes or until dry on top and almost firm to touch.
  • Let cool, then cut into squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment