Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Best Brownies Ever



This is a recipe I have made many, many times. When I stayed home with my son after he was born, I made dessert almost every night, and this was one of the regulars in my rotation. I have made it both with baking chocolate and with cocoa powder. I've also had some other brownie recipes that are very good, and they are all basically the same as this one, with perhaps a tiny tweak or two. The key is not to overcook them, to leave the brownies slightly soft in the center (toothpick will come out clean before they feel completely solid) and to avoid using any leavening except eggs. Otherwise, they are too cakey.

Fannie Farmer's recipe:
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, unbeaten
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. walnut pieces (I didn't have these, so I skipped them)
1 tsp. vanilla

  • Preheat oven to 325.
  • Butter a 9x9 baking pan. 
  • Mix chocolate and butter in a pan over low heat until melted (I used 1/4 c. cocoa powder and added 2 tbsp. extra butter to moisten it. If you use baking squares, stick with the 1/4 c. butter)
  • Remove pan from heat, stir in the remaining ingredients.
  • Spread in pan and bake until almost firm to touch (25-35 mins).

I love this recipe, esp. using Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder. It's chewy and delicious, with a slightly crisp skin on top. Never had better!

2 comments:

  1. I love these, but they never seem chocolatey enough.... Maybe because I usually use dark chocolate chips?? 2 oz is only 1/4 c. and they are always really light brown.... I don't think I've ever used cocoa though. Maybe I will try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use 1/4 c special dark and they will turn out black like these!

    ReplyDelete