Sunday, July 6, 2014

Cream of Spinach or Kale Soup


I used the Cream of Vegetable soup for this, with the spinach variation calling for a bit of nutmeg.

Basically, it goes like this:

Take 1/2 cup cooked vegetables plus some sliced onion (it calls for one onion slice, but I used several),
1 1/2 c. milk OR 1 c. milk, 1/2 c. chicken stock or the equivalent
and heat it on top of a double boiler for 20 minutes. Then blend it all up, add salt and pepper to taste, a bit of red pepper if you like and a dash of nutmeg.

Really, it's that simple.

I used kale, since I had some from the garden that was getting wilty. I cooked it with the onion for about 20 minutes on low heat with just a bit of water, so it was kind of steamed. I left the bit of water (basically veggie broth) in the bottom of the pan and added a cup of milk to it and turned the heat to low and let it marinate for another 20 minutes to finish cooking the kale and onion. I also added nutmeg, salt and ground pepper here. When it was done, I blended it all up and added a dash of cayenne for heat. It was pretty tasty, if a bit frothy. I'm used to scalded milk in my coffee drink, not a bowl of veggies, but it wasn't bad. Not sure I'd necessarily make this again, as I could probably find another use for kale, but it was a decent meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment