Thursday, July 31, 2014

Borscht (Russian Beet Soup)

 It's been a while since I've posted a cabbage recipe. But I'm still drowning in cabbages. No complaints here, though. It's nice to have a success crop my first year of gardening. What I don't have is beets. But my mom grew some, so she brought me some and asked if I could make borscht. I don't think I'd ever heard of this dish before my mom said I should make it.

It took me a couple days to get to it, since I didn't have any beef broth. I ended up making it with bone broth from the ham I made last week. The recipe is pretty simple.

In a large pot, cook 4 c. beef broth
 Get enough beets to make 2 cups. I used 3, but only took pics of 2.
Remove stems and skins. 

Chop or shred beets.
Add 1 onion, chopped, and 1-2 c. shredded cabbage. I used purple cabbage.

Simmer in a covered pot until veggies are tender.
Add 1 tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar
Add water if necessary
Season if necessary
Serve hot or chilled, with
1/2 c. sour cream

This recipe was pretty good. The beets were very sweet and the soup had great flavor. I really enjoyed it. If you like beets and cabbage, you would like this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment