Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Old Fashioned Dressing

This is a good dressing that can be used on vegetable and fruit salads, according to The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. However, I'd find it very weird on fruit salad, I must say!

Here's the recipe:

Sift into a small heavy saucepan:
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. dried mustard
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • a dash of cayenne
  • 2 tbs. flour
Stir in slowly:
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbs. butter
  • 3/4 c. milk
  • 1/4 c. vinegar
Cook over low heat, stirring, until slightly thick. Cool.

Variations:
  1. Cream dressing: Use cream in place of milk and butter
  2. Tangy dressing: Add 1/4 tsp. celery seed. Thin with orange juice.
I made the regular old fashioned dressing to go on coleslaw. It wasn't a very typical tasting slaw, for sure. But, it was okay. I used apple cider vinegar, because that's what I had. It was very vinegary. I don't know if I'd use that much again. I might cut it by a tbs. or two. Also, I cooked it a minute too long I think, as it got very thick, almost like paste. I added a bit of milk and it thinned out, but be careful of cooking it too long.

I forgot to take pics, like I usually do of dressings. So I don't have one except the coleslaw pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment