Sunday, July 20, 2014

Chinese Cabbage and Tomatoes

This is a simple vegetable recipe that would be good with pretty much anything, especially beef. I've eaten Chinese cabbage a lot, both in stir-fry and by itself. But I've never really done much with it. If you don't like the flavor of cabbage, this has a completely different flavor and texture. It's very tender and delicious.

This recipe is not in my updated Fannie Farmer Cookbook, sadly. But it is in my mom's old version, The Boston Cooking School Cookbook. Fannie doesn't give much detail on the cooking technique, so I'll add my own.

Recipe:
4 c. shredded Chinese cabbage (I sliced it thin, since I'm not even sure how you could shred this stuff)
1/2 c. cooked or canned tomatoes (I didn't have this, so I just chopped a fresh tomato and threw it in the pan with everything else and it cooked very well).
1 small chopped onion

Cook until tender, adding water if necessary to keep cabbage from sticking.

The recipe doesn't give instructions on cooking or seasoning. So, I wasn't sure how to cook it. I threw it in the cast iron frying pan, like always, with a tbsp. or two of olive oil. It cooked really well, so everything was done at once. I seasoned with salt and pepper.

It definitely did not need any water added. It was kind of juicy, maybe because I cooked it with a lid on. It was pretty plain, but for a side dish, it would be fine. It was nice to use all veggies from the garden, but next time, I'll probably just steam the Chinese cabbage. This wasn't all that special.




No comments:

Post a Comment