Thursday, July 3, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes

 Blueberry pancakes are a summer staple in our house. My mom made them for us when we were kids, and I still love them just as much as my own son, who loves pancakes of all varieties.
I might need to work on my photography as much as my cooking!

I have tried to use gluten-free flour when I have it, and it's incredibly tender and tasty. I actually like it better than flour pancakes, if you can believe it. But I didn't have gluten-free flour this week, so I'll post on that some other time.

Today, I went with a more traditional recipe for blueberry pancakes.

The recipe for basic pancakes from my Fannie Farmer Cookbook:
Wild blueberries work well and have more flavor.

Mix in one bowl:
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
2 tbs melted butter

In second bowl, mix:
1 c. flour (I use 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking powder (I used about 1 tsp baking soda instead)
2 tbs sugar

Dump all dry ingredients into the liquid at once, and mix until just moistened. Add extra milk if needed, until batter is about as thick as heavy cream or a bit thicker. I did have to add extra milk to mine.

Last, fold 1/2 c. blueberries into the mix, pour into hot skillet and cook until bubbles appear around edges. You can check under the edge of a pancake to make sure it's browning before you flip it. I always use cast iron pans, which work great for pancakes, and a metal spatula.

Butter is your friend.
Pancakes can be tricky for a newbie cook, but it's one thing I've perfected since it's one of my son's favorite breakfasts. The trick is getting the batter the right consistency. With these, we topped with simple butter and maple syrup, but you can get fancy and add blueberry syrup or any number of toppings. I'm sure I'll make some others this year and try to post some recipes.

For now, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment