Thursday, July 17, 2014

French Dressing (salad dressing)

Cool separating effect of oil, vinegar, and salt.
I've been so busy lately that it's hard to find a spare moment to cook. This evening I realized that after gardening, repainting the closets in our new house, and blanching 5 batches of cabbage, I hadn't cooked anything all day. So I threw together some salad dressing, which is called French Dressing according to The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, but is nothing like the red-orange French dressing you get on a salad bar. This is more like what I'd call Italian dressing, aka, vinaigrette.

The recipe (which I halved):
1/2 c. salad or olive oil
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 clove garlic

Add all ingredients to jar and shake. Remove garlic before serving.

For this one, I followed the recipe closely. I didn't think it had enough vinegar, so I ended up doubling that. And I like garlic, so I added a whole clove, cut in four.

It was pretty tasty, but will probably be even better the next day, once the garlic has sat in the oil a while. I have a couple other dressing recipes I like, but this one is super fast and easy, so I'd definitely make it again if I was in a hurry.
Salt effervescing.

Apologies for the many, many pictures, but this was so cool to watch as it came together. I usually make dressing in a bottle so I don't get to see the cool mixing process. It was really sweet watching it through the wide mouth of the jar.

 



3 comments:

  1. When i make this for friend they love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this with fresh lemons instead of vinegar. It is so delicious! I've done it this way for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. With fresh lemons. It is so delicious, it is everyone's favorite.

      Delete