Saturday, July 19, 2014

Chocolate Pudding (Blanc Mange)



My son could only eat soft food for two days after his surgery, so it was the perfect time to try out a pudding recipe or two. This recipe can be made chocolate or vanilla. I’m posting both recipes, since they are basically the same. The Fannie Farmer Cookbook says this is similar to a boxed pudding mix, and I have to say, it was pretty similar in taste. So if you like pudding mix but want to make your own, this is a perfect recipe.

















Ingredients:
2 c. milk
3 tbsp. cornstarch
¼ c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
(Optional: 2 oz. Unsweetened chocolate)

Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt.
Add ¼ c. cold milk and stir until dissolved
Scald remaining milk (and chocolate if making chocolate pudding, stirring until smooth)
Add cold milk to scalded milk and stir constantly over double boiler or in saucepan on low heat for 15 minutes to completely dissolve cornstarch.
Let cool before adding vanilla.


I followed this recipe exactly (first time for everything!) and it turned out delicious. I used extra dark cocoa powder, and it was EXTREMELY chocolatey. My son said it was too dark, but I loved it. The recipe says to add cream or whipped cream on top. I like warm pudding, so I ate it warm and poured cold whole milk over it. The contrast was divine. This recipe is a 5-star one that I’d like to make over and over—if I wasn’t so busy trying to make new recipes!


3 comments:

  1. Remember when mother used to make butterscotch pudding? I have an awesome recipe for it and it is sooo good! That reminds me....I should make some! :-) It's a great summer dessert. I have made Fanny's chocolate one too - it's good as well, though I never tried it with milk over it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember mother making butterscotch pudding, but I made it today! I will post the recipe soon. It turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make these pudding a lot, but I used a microwave instead of a double boiler and it saved a lot of time and effort.

    ReplyDelete