Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Colcannon

Guess what I have today? Surprise! Another cabbage recipe!

With the fridge overflowing cabbage, I had to do something. So I went back to Fannie Farmer for more cabbage recipes. I found this one, an Irish recipe that I would describe as "mashed potatoes and cabbage."

  • 2 lbs. potatoes, chopped and peeled (I didn't peel mine, and estimated the amount since I don't have a kitchen scale).
  • 1 1/2 lbs. cabbage, cored and quartered (this is later supposed to be sliced, so I just sliced it first, before cooking)
  • 4 tbsp. butter
  • 1 c. whole milk
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • Ground pepper
  • 6 scallions, sliced (I didn't have these, so I used half a regular onion, cooked with the cabbage and potatoes)
Directions:
Boil potatoes until 15-20 mins, until tender
Halfway through the cooking, add the cabbage to the pot.
When done, drain and remove cabbage, slice into thin strips (like I said, I did this before cooking, as it seemed easier than trying to slice cooked cabbage)
Take drained pot (with potatoes still in it) and add butter, 1/2 c. milk, salt & pepper and mash until smooth.
Add other 1/2 c. milk and stir.
Add cabbage and mix until blended.
Garnish with scallions (or cook onion in with veggies if you don't have green onions).

The mashed potatoes, sans cabbage.
 This turned out really well. In fact, I may just throw cabbage in all my mashed potatoes from now on. It was really tasty. My son didn't want the cabbage, but once I told him he had to try it, he ate it all up without complaining much. Even my picky sister, who said it sounded gross, liked it. Even more shockingly, my dad came in and asked about it and, after looking up 'colcannon' in the dictionary (they had it), he tried it and said it was really good. If you knew my dad, you'd know how shocking it is for him to try a random dish.

So, I'm calling this a success all around. I barely tasted the cabbage--it's pretty much a rich, creamy mashed potato with a hidden veggie. If your kids are very veggie resistant, you could probably chop the cabbage more finely and sneak it in there.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very simple.... I will try it when I have potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should. It's super yummy.

    ReplyDelete