Sunday, July 13, 2014

Peach Upside Down Cake

This recipe uses the same topping as the cobbler recipe I used. You can find it here. For cobbler, it was too thick, but it made me think of upside down cake when I made it, so that's been on my mind. So when I found some frozen peaches that needed to be used up, I knew just what to do with them. Hence, peach upside down cake.

Fresh out the oven.
Once again, I forgot to take pictures of the process. Cooking is kind of stressful for me, since I never know what I'm doing, and running back and forth reading the recipe, mixing everything at once, etc, gives me enough to do! But I did get pics of the product.

Summer is the best time for cooking, since I have time off work. But it's also the best because of all the fruits and vegetables getting ready. An excess of anything forces me to be creative and find recipes for using up whatever is on hand. I was excited to see the fruit stand near our house had peaches, so we went out and got some. They are great frozen, especially if you slice them and freeze them on a cookie sheet before putting them in bags or containers. If you don't freeze the slices separately, they tend to freeze into one giant blob. That's what had happened with these peaches. I thawed the whole chunk and lined the pan with it as directed. They do get pretty mushy when they thaw, but for a cake, it didn't make any difference once they were cooked.

Here's the recipe from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook.

Juicy edges before turning onto plate.

  • Line the bottom of a pan with peach slices
  • Add 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick)
  • Top it with cottage pudding cake recipe (link above)
  • Bake at 400 for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
I switched up the recipe some. I melted 2 tbs. butter and 1/2 c. brown sugar in the pan, then added thawed peaches with the juice, and cooked it until the juice was a bit thick.

In the cake part, I cut the sugar to 1/2 c. and the butter to 6 tbs. I didn't have any milk, so I used yogurt instead, and substituted baking soda (about 3/4 tbs)  for baking powder, since the acid in the yogurt should activate it. The batter was a little thick with yogurt, so I had to add a dash of water to thin it a bit. If the pictures look a little dark, it's because I used only whole wheat flour this time, since that's all we had. I cooked it in a cast iron pan, and it was quite done in 35 minutes. So maybe 30 next time or a cake pan.
Look at that gooey deliciousness.

Verdict: As you can see, the peaches were a bit brown because they weren't frozen correctly. So they weren't very colorful and pretty like they should be. And I'd recommend using half white flour, since this was a bit heavy. But overall, it was pretty edible.

2 comments: