Thursday, July 24, 2014

Creamed Chicken (with Peas)

This recipe was both simple and time consuming. We had some chicken to use up, so I looked through The Fannie Farmer Cookbook until I found a recipe that only used a little chicken. Vegetables were optional, so I used about a half cup of peas we had thawed the day before and hadn't used.

Creamed chicken:
2 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. cooked chicken (I only had 1 c. shredded, so that's what I used)
1 c. chicken broth
1/3 c. cream (I used whole milk)
salt and pepper


I actually used a double boiler, possibly for the first time ever. We've had one for years, but I usually just use it as a pan or for storing leftovers. So I thought I'd used it as it is supposed to be used.

Melt butter in double boiler.
Mix in flour until completely blended.
Gradually add chicken broth (or 1 c. milk) stirring constantly
Stir over low heat until thick.
Bring to boiling for 2 minutes.
Add cream, chicken, and salt and pepper to taste
Heat at least 1/2 hr in double boiler so chicken absorbs moisture and sauce.
If it gets too thick, add more liquid. I had to add more chicken broth and more milk.
Serve on biscuits, waffles, or rice.
Decorate with bacon, parsley, watercress, pimiento, or paprika.

Optional add-ins: mushrooms, peas, ham, celery, or hard-boiled egg (weird, right?)

I added peas into it. It tasted much like the inside of a chicken pot pie. The sauce was thick but not too thick, and it tasted very good. I served it with Parsley Rice (recipe tomorrow), so I didn't garnish the chicken with parsley. I sprinkled paprika over it, and it was pretty okay. My son, the picky eater, loved it and asked for more (instead of the parsley rice, which I thought he would love) even though it was not the most photogenic, beautiful food I've ever made.

Overall, this is an okay recipe that is a good way to use up leftover chicken, but I don't know that I would go out of my way to make it again. Maybe if I have some chicken on hand again, I'll try one of the other creamed chicken recipes Fannie Farmer offers.


No comments:

Post a Comment