Friday, July 25, 2014

Parsley Rice, aka Green Rice

 
This was a simple side dish which went well with the creamed chicken recipe I posted yesterday. I paired them because the Boston Cooking School Cookbook said to make this in a ring mold and fill with creamed chicken. I don't have a ring mold, but I paired them together and they went pretty well. The only complaint I had was that this was a bit overpowered by the creamed chicken, and I couldn't enjoy the parsley flavor very much. But, rice is not the main attraction, so it usually doesn't stand out on its own.

parsley.
Onwards to the recipe:
Mix and put in a buttered casserole dish:
1 c. steamed rice
1 c. milk
1/4-1 c. chopped parsley
4 tbsp. melted butter or olive oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 c. grated cheese
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
Mixed up and ready to cook.
1/4 tsp. paprika
optional: chopped pimiento

Bake at 350 until firm, about 45 minutes. I had to cook mine about an hour, but it worked out so I put it in the oven and then did the creamed chicken, and everything was done at the same time.

This is a goodish recipe, but I don't know if I'd make it as a side dish again, or serve it under something else. It's a bit more complicated than just using plain rice, and since it didn't have a strong flavor that stood out, I don't know if I'd bother again. But, it was a success overall, since it turned out well.

For a simple, parsley-free baked rice, see this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Ummm....there's no parsley listed in the recipe?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, oops! Good catch. I'll get that edited right away!

    ReplyDelete