Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cream Sauce, or Basic White Sauce

I made this sauce to go on Bubble & Squeak, a recipe you can find in this post. This is for a basic cream sauce, which can be used on any number of things. So make sure to mark it if you use cream sauce. This one is delicious, and simple enough that even a kitchen klutz like me can make it. Here is the recipe from my mother's edition: The All New Fannie Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook. I love the little pictures of utensils in her tattered old edition.




I did not use a double boiler, as I do not have one. I just used a sauce pan. Of course I messed it up a little, as the pan was already too hot when I added the butter, so it immediately started to brown *facepalm*.  Also, my Fannie Farmer (as we call the cookbook around our house) calls for using warm milk if you're a beginner, which of course I did. It didn't turn out half bad. I was a bit proud of myself afterwards, I admit, since it turned out good despite the browned butter fiasco.

I was so stressed while making this that I didn't take any pictures, but since it's a staple and basic anyway, I'm going to go ahead and add it to the blog. It's a must for anyone wanting to move on to more complicated dishes. One day, I will master it (use Dracula-esque voice here, and feel free to add an evil laugh at the end).
Pictures in my mom's Fannie Farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment