Thursday, July 10, 2014

Coleslaw


This recipe is very simple and goes with the recipe for old-fashioned dressing I posted yesterday. Really the recipe is so easy it's barely a recipe at all, aside from the dressing.
This side.

I had some trouble grating the cabbage, so I ended up using that side of the grater that's never been used before, the one with three wide slots. The regular large grating side made the cabbage too fine. But the wide slots gave a perfect coleslaw shred.

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook says:

  • Shred cabbage or chop fine. 
  • Chill in refrigerator. 
  • Just before serving, mix with cooked dressing, using 1/2 c. dressing for each 2 cups cabbage. *The dressing recipe makes about a cup, so I used 4 cups of shredded cabbage (1/2 head).
Optional: add 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds or celery seeds, 1 tbs. minced onion or 1/4 c. finely cut green pepper.

I thought those were weird add-ins, as I've never had coleslaw with peppers. But maybe that's because I'm used to a typical southern slaw. This was a bit different, as it didn't have a mayo based dressing. The vinegar was very tangy. At the bottom of the recipe, it says:

"For variety, add grated carrot or a few slices of stuffed olives...celery, apple, or crushed pineapple..."

Okay, I've never had slaw without carrot. That's not 'for variety' in the south, it's a requirement. Pineapple is optional, I agree. But then, I have an ingrained opinion of what Southern food is like. Southern Slaw does not include olives. So much ew.

Overall, I would not really recommend this recipe, as it was sort of weird flavored and not what I'm used to. But if you've never had coleslaw, it's an easy one and you might like it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment