Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Stuffed Peppers

This was another one of Fannie Farmer's recipes that was so vague it wasn't even really a recipe. It goes something like: cut peppers in  half, clean out seeds and veins, steam five minutes, and fill. It gives suggestions as to what to fill it with--corn, ham, beef and rice, seasons, etc. But it isn't a very specific recipe where it tells how much of everything. So I'm just going to post my recipe.

Take 2 green bell peppers
Cut in half lengthwise and empty out seeds and stems.
Steam peppers for 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, saute a small onion (I use coconut oil for frying) and
2 ripe tomatoes.
Add 1 c. cooked, chopped ham
1/2-1 c. cooked rice
Ground pepper for seasoning (you won't need salt if using ham, as it's very salty)

Spoon filling into peppers.
Bake at 350 for 10-15 mins.
Top with grated cheese.
I always return it to the oven but turn the oven off at this point and just wait for a few minutes while the cheese melts. But you could turn it on broil for a few minutes if you wanted, to give the cheese a little crispiness on top.

For stuffed zucchini, go here.


2 comments:

  1. Ha ha - sounds like my kind of "recipe". :-) I usually make mine with ground beef and a whole lot of random seasonings - chili powder, cumin, maybe oregano, sometimes cilantro, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually make it with ground beef, too, but I was making ham recipes this week. lol...I use pretty much the same stuffing for every kind of veggie--zucchini, peppers, etc.

    ReplyDelete