Friday, July 11, 2014

Southern Corn Pudding





Final product.

I chose this recipe the way I usually choose recipes--because I had an ingredient I needed to use. Instead of going to Pinterest, I went to my trusty Fannie Farmer Cookbook and looked it up in the index.

All mixed up and about to go in the oven.
I had a few ears of corn leftover from a cookout, so I looked for corn and found a recipe for Southern Corn Pudding, using only ingredients I had on hand. Always good when you don't have to go out and buy something special for a recipe.
cooked pudding.
This is good as a side dish, but quite sweet, almost dessert-like.

Here's the recipe:
scalded milk.
Mix
2 cups corn kernels (Fresh, frozen, canned, etc...I cut the kernels off 3 ears of corn)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. sugar (I left this out because my corn was really sweet, and it was PLENTY sweet)
1 1/2 tbs. melted butter
2 c. scalded milk
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground pepper

I mixed it all in a metal double-boiler top, then set it in the pan of water and put the whole thing right in the oven.
Look at those delicious brown edges.

Bake at 325 until firm (about 45 mins according to the recipe, but I added another 15 mins because it was too soft at 45. It turned out pretty good, very custard-like. Even my son liked it. So, overall I'd call it a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment